ORICA INDIGENOUS ENTREPRENEURSHIP
Commerce Management Group is proud to partner with Orica to deliver the Orica Indigenous Entrepreneurship Program.
The Entrepreneurship Program offers practical learning to Aboriginal individuals and businesses who want to create new business opportunities in Northern Ontario. We provide:
- Business planning & support
- Financial grants
- One-on-one business mentoring.
The program is designed to support successful business development for Indigenous people. To qualify for the program, new businesses must be located in Orica’s operating area. Applicants must participate in a screening process to ensure compliance with the program’s eligibility criteria.
The program is delivered through a network of trusted consultants at Commerce Management Group (CMG) to ensure you get the advice and support you need to be successful. There are two main program elements:
- Equity contribution: Each eligible participant will receive a contribution of up to $5,000 to start their business. 50% will be granted as a non-repayable equity contribution and 50% as business support services.
The actual financial contribution from Orica will be limited to what is required to ensure your business proceeds and is viable.
- Business support: Levels of support and services will be determined on a case-by-case basis and can be increased or decreased based on need. Business support services include the following activities:
- Business Mentoring Services
- Business Advisory Services
- Training Services for business planning operations
- Business Planning for capital purchases
- Application to other capital funding programs
Who Should Apply?
To be considered for the program, applicants must meet the following eligibility criteria, among others:
- Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident legally authorized to work in Canada
- Be a resident of Ontario
- Have Indigenous status as designated by the Government of Canada, or as identified by another verifiable group (Metis) or;
- Be an Aboriginal owned business
Participants must be involved in the proposed business full-time in a management capacity and must be able to provide some level of cash equity to support the project. A full eligibility screening will be conducted by a 3rd Party firm to determine each applicant’s eligibility of the program.
Orica is the world’s largest provider of commercial explosives and innovative blasting systems to the mining, quarrying, oil and gas and construction markets, a leading supplier of sodium cyanide for gold extraction, and a specialist provider of ground support services in mining and tunnelling.
Founded in 1874, Orica has more than 140 years of experience and investment in innovation.
We are the global leader in mining and civil services, with a diverse workforce of around 11,500 employees, servicing customers across more than 100 countries. Orica operates in many mines within Northern Ontario and is committed to working in participation with and support First Nation involvement within the mining and mining support service sector.